Saturday, November 1, 2014

Check out my "door sign" for my great niece!!!

Hello everyone!!!  I have been very busy...just not making cards right now.  In addition to designing and creating this door sign for my sweet great-niece Dani, I have been designing some files and trying to organize and clean up stuff in my Craft Room.........that is an endless job as we all know!!!

At any rate, I have been telling my sister's eight year old granddaughter for quite some time now that I was going to make her a sign for her bedroom door and it just so happens that they will be here for Thanksgiving, so I figured that would be a great time to give it to her.  I have to say, this has been quite a project!!!  I got the idea in my head that I wanted the "back-drop" of the sign to be like a wood slat sign and I wanted the main focus of the sign to be a "chalk board" so that she could take the chalk and write "keep out", "enter at your own risk" or "sleeping" or whatever her little heart desires!  Here is a photo of the finished project and beneath it are a bunch of close-ups and at the end of this post there will be some photos of how I accomplished the "wood slat" base for the sign.  Everything, with the exception of the foam core supports, was designed and cut using my Silhouette Cameo.



"Dani's" and "Room" were designed by me using the Samantha font which I just recently purchased and I love it!!!!  The top layer of each was cut out of black cardstock, then covered with my "Sparkle N Sprinkle Brushable Glue" and then I sprinkled and burnished some Martha Stewart "Onyx" glitter on it.  The "ballerina" and the "cheerleader" were images I found online and turned into a cutting file for this project.  I cut the daisies on my Cameo and then "sculpted" them to shape and for the flower centers I used "The Frugal Crafter's" idea for making enamel dots out of paper.....you can see her video here!  I swear, I just love Lindsay's ideas ....that woman is pure genius!!!  That gorgeous light pink butterfly is a Sue Wilson die.............the other butterflies are Silhouette cut files.  The lovely "greenery", which in this project is white..lol, is a free cut file called "Viney Leaves" that I got from The Scrap Chick.  For the cheerleader's pompoms, I used "Platinum" flock by Sparkly Fluff.   The three large pink and clear spinels are by Jolee's Boutique and the tiny pink and clear gems are by Offray.  The pearls are Recollections.  The following are close-ups as my full photo is not that good, but hopefully the close-ups will make up for it!

Top Left


Bottom Left featuring the Ballerina and Sue Wilson Butterfly



Top Right


Bottom Right featuring the Cheerleader


Now, I 've got to talk to you about my "chalk well"............now that was a job to figure out.  I wound up taking two pieces of foam board and gluing them together and then I took my craft knife and cut out a well for the chalk to sit in.  Then I took some Sandy Lion glitter tape and covered the foam board and then I took a piece of black washi tape and placed it on the front for some contrast.  Now....how in the world was I going to keep the chalk from falling out?  Well, a little bit of acetate works wonders............I cut a piece for each end and then applied a Jolee's spinel on each end for decorative and now the chalk is not going anywhere!  I have to say, I was rather proud of myself for this one....LOL!!!


Now for my method of making the "faux wood slat" base for the sign.  I found some wood slat images online and made myself a cutting file and cut three of each slat out of white textured cardstock, did a little inking with some black soot distress ink and glued them together and backed each one with a piece of foam board for support.  Can you tell that I love foam board...it comes in really handy for lots of projects!  I think the following photos pretty well show just what I did!




For the frame for the "chalk board", I used a free file from Images by Heather.....she has a number of free files that she shares...........you can find this one here!  There is three layers....the dark pink, light pink and the chalk board paper.


Hey, I am sorry for all of the photos...............but this was a BIG project.  Thanks for stopping by for a visit and please hurry back!!!

Finished Project Size:  about 9"x12"

Supplies List
Papers:  DCWV "Chalkboard" & "Glitter Paper", Bazzill,, Colorbok "White Textured", Recollections
Tools:  Silhouette "Cameo"
Accessories:  Martha Stewart "Onyx",  "White Gold" & "Florentine Gold" Glitter,  Jolee's Boutique "Dual Tone Prizm Spinel", Offray "Gens", SandyLion Tape Works, "Platinum" Sparkly Fluff, Sue Wilson Butterfly Die, 

2 comments:

Peggy in Mentone said...

AH-MAY-ZING!!!! The work you put into this is mind blowing. The out come is spectacular...she will LOVE this. Thank you for all the close up photo's and the detailed description of how this was crafted! Your talent never fails to impress...each part of this is from the hands of a master!

Tam said...

I swear this turned out so awesome. U did fantastic. I am sure she will love it. I do and heck I am not even a child. Good work.